- What can be said about Auschwitz-Birkenau that hasn't already
- been said? What can be photographed at those
sacred places that
- hasn't already been photographed?
- As I thought about what had
occurred there I wondered how any
- human could do such inhumane things, and then
- "The Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain. In this story a young
named Seppi is talking to Satan about a man who had brutally
- beaten his dog.
Seppi declared that this man's act was
- inhumane, to which Satan responded:
"No, it wasn't Seppi; it was
human--quite distinctly human."
Satan points out that
no other creature on the planet would
treat another this way...except humans.
- I had not intended to photograph
during my tour of the camps but
- after being there a few minutes, I felt
compelled. With every step
- I wondered about the people whose feet had walked in
exactly the same
- footsteps as mine. I wondered if their spirits still lingered there today.
And so I photographed ghosts.
here to view
all images or click on individual images
the YouTube Video of The Ghosts of Auschwitz-Birkenau
Read the March 2009 B&W Magazine Article
Learn More About "The Ghosts of
Cole Thompson Photography Blog
© Copyright 2005-2012, Cole Thompson