classic images in black & white
- Ceiling Lamps
Ceiling Lamps; functional objects or objects of art?
- The first time I really noticed a ceiling lamp was in a hotel
lobby in Uniontown, Ohio. I was intrigued
- by how it looked when I stood directly below it; from that
perspective it was an abstract kaleidoscope and didn't
- resemble the functional object that I had viewed from the side.
As I lay on the lobby floor, studying the lamp,
- I decided to produce this portfolio.
- Over the next year I photographed hundreds of ceiling lamps and
laid on many floors; restaurants, hotels,
- offices, stores, businesses and homes. Each lamp presented a
different challenge of access, lighting,
- depth or color. Each new lamp triggered another idea.
- Whenever I consider this project completed, I see another lamp
that excites my imagination. Everywhere I go,
- I still find myself looking up.
larger images or click on individual images
© Copyright 2005-2014, Cole Thompson
A Poster is available of Ceiling Lamps
for $40.00, shipping included. Click
here for more information.